December 1, 2009

Café Charlot, rue de Bretagne

So there is this charming little café nestled in the heart of the Marais that I just can’t get enough of. I first discovered the place when I lived just a couple of blocks away and would pass a corner space under construction every day. Being a lover, as we’ve already established, of all things food (well, almost), I was excited when I saw that the space was possibly going to be a new neighborhood boulangerie, as the sign over the corner entrance was one of those wonderful old Boulangerie signs. Day after day, I watched the progress, every day hoping that it would open before I was set to move away.

When I eventually realized that it was not in fact going to be a Boulangerie but rather a café, I can’t say I was disappointed. Tant mieux if it was going to be a place for me to pop down for a tasty dinner or just a drink with a friend! I finally had the chance to make my inaugural visit one day when my friend and I had spent the morning at Carreau du Temple looking for famous people attending Stella McCartney’s fashion show. Exhausted after chasing Anna Wintour et al, we found we needed a French breakfast, so at my suggestion we headed to Café Charlot. That first time I finally made it inside after all those months of anticipation, I was mesmerized by its ambiance. Now don’t get me wrong, it’s not the Plaza Athenée or something. The attraction of it for me is that it’s just that: me… the precise way I would design a café, with its white subway tiles all over, fan light fixtures, and beautiful yet understated bar. I had a delicious croissant with possibly the best hot chocolate I have ever had. It was like a melted candy bar very much reminiscent of Angelina’s hot chocolate l’Africain only better.

Photo by M. Zimbeck

In subsequent trips to Café Charlot, I have taken a slightly less indulgent hot drink. The first time I ordered it, I was pleasantly surprised when my order of mint tea came out in a traditional Moroccan tea pot with traditional tea cozy and, of course, real mint leaves. As if I needed one more reason to love this place.

Photo by MuFoo
Café Charlot is a great place to get breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or just to take a drink. If you’re in need of a place to work, you can always take your laptop and take advantage of their free WiFi. Enjoy!

Café Charlot
38, rue de Bretagne 
75004 Paris 
Tél.: 01 44 54 03 30
Metro: St. Sebastien Froissart – République – Arts et Métiers
Open daily from 7am to 2am
Free WIFI

No comments:

Post a Comment